Cry Wolf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf is a brand new forum focused on the forum version of the deception game Mafia/Werewolves

Video Game UPick is over! Town Wins!
We now have a Discord Server!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite Animes

+3
drandahl
Kiyoko
Rasei
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Favorite Animes Empty Favorite Animes Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Rasei

Rasei

Do you have a favorite anime that everyone should watch or favorite manga everyone should read? List them below, and maybe give an argument on why people should watch/read it.

Tiger and Bunny - The best superhero anime I seen in a long while. In a world where Superheros are franchise out, Wild Tiger is picked to be part of the first Superhero duo with the hot new hero Barnaby Brooks Jr (who quickly gets the nickname Bunny). The two are opposite in every which way: Wild Tiger keeps his identity a secret, a loving father and son, and is doing it to truly help people; while Barnaby has no separate life outside of being a hero, seemly only doing good deeds for points on Hero Tv, and looking for the man/organization that killed his parents when he was a child. The show/manga is about how the two become a team and what really happen that night that Barnaby.

While some people say there is slashy moments in the show, I can never see them.

Last edited by Rasei on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add the opening)

2Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:17 pm

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Dude, I'm watching T&B right now. I'm on episode like, 10 or something, so don't talk about it yet.

I can totally see the slash, but I wear shipping goggles and will ship anyone regardless of personality/gender/species/status/etc. or whether or not they've even met in the series. So. I'm biased.

That said, here's my go-to anime rec.

Baccano! - Do you like mafia stories? Um, obviously you do because you're here right now. How about alchemy and 1920s and murder mysteries and comedy relief? Yeah that's what I thought. Baccano is a set of interwoven stories about the passengers of a certain train. It spans multiple centuries, but the bulk of the story is set during the American Prohibition. Made by the same studio who did Durararara.

It has amazing animation and storytelling quality, and also the opening is fantastic.

http://kiyokon.tumblr.com

3Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:20 pm

drandahl

drandahl

Kiyoko wrote:How about alchemy and 1920s and murder mysteries and comedy relief?

Garhhh wish I wasn't supposed to be working right now. I am hugely interested in that combination and want to start right now. Also have heard good things about Tiger and Bunny. So many good shows :\

But to add to this thread, I'll append Pani Poni Dash. Also, I'm a terrible salesman, so keep in mind it's better than I make it sound:
Like slice of life (I normally don't!)? Don't like slice of life but enjoy parody and very bizarre humor? Don't like slice of life or parody but enjoy unique visual style? No to all of these, but you want a series that none of your friends have probably ever watched?

The core plot is around the antics of class 1-C and their 10 year old teacher, though I'm hesitant to focus on that since it sounds so boring. Yes, it's slice of life, but weird and random in the same way Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (which I also recommend and now want to watch again...)

Okay, really, even if you don't watch it, the openings are really catchy so you should at least watch those. First one:

Disclaimer, I haven't seen it in a while, so there might also be nostalgia at play. Though now I want to watch it again...

4Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:46 pm

drandahl

drandahl

Actually, I know this is awful, but now I kind of want to rescind my suggestion for Pani Poni Dash and go straight to Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Pani Poni Dash feels more dated, and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is pretty good in general.

For what it's worth, both are directed by Akiyuki Shinbo at Shaft, and he's also directed Negima!, Madoka, Mekakucity Actors (which I haven't seen), and Bakemonogatari (which I haven't seen).

5Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Rasei

Rasei

I just wanted to say I finished watching Baccano, and I'm definite going to pick up the series. It didn't knock out any of my favorites but it is amazing. It might be #7 on my favorite list.

6Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

I actually just finished Tiger & Bunny, too. I enjoyed it a lot. :D Haven't seen the movies yet so that's next on my list.

7Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:05 pm

Rasei

Rasei

I haven't seen the second movie yet, but I really like the first. Don't you just love the relationship between Kaede and Kotetsu? Plus I like the character growth for Barnaby. (Is firmly a Kotetsu/Tomoe shipper)

Also I have the urge to rewatch Durararara again.

8Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:41 am

Luxaria

Luxaria

For years and years, my favorite series has been Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. In a cyberpunk and grungy Japan not too far into the future, humans and machines have merged, with many or most people possessing cybernetic implants and cyborg bodies. The plot follows the special police force, Section 9, and its criminal and security investigations through the eyes of Major Motoko Kusanagi--and she is easily one of my favorite characters in anime. While the setting is fantastic and very realized, one of my main draws to the series comes through all of the philosophical questions it asks about society, people, machines, and technology. It's a very rich and contemplative anime, though it can be a bit episodic as it explores new concepts. That said, the second half of the first season is phenomenal in terms of story development.

I'll also toss a mention to an anime I finished recently: Shinsekai Yori. I haven't decided if it's my new favorite, since Ghost in the Shell is very near and dear to me, but! Shinsekai Yori has the best world building and thematic depth of any series I've ever watched. It's hard to describe, so I'll quote the blurb on MyAnimeList:

A millennium from now, in Japan, exists a utopia. The protagonist, Saki Watanabe, lives in an idyllic village barred from the outside world. Her world is ruled by the people who possess the "gods' power" of psychokinesis. After finally obtaining her own powers, Saki enters the Zenjin Academy to train along with five other children: Satoru Asahina, Maria Akizuki, Mamoru Itou, Shun Aonuma, and Reiko Amano.

Not all is as it seems, however. In this utopian village, strange rumors about a monstrous cat that abducts children circulate, and students are said to disappear from the academy. The world and its history are much darker than they appear and humanity is on the verge of collapsing.

It's the first series I've felt comfortable giving a "10" in 8 years of anime. I highly recommend it!

Regarding the posts/suggestions of others, I've had Baccano and Durararara recommended quite a few times. I think I even have them on my plan-to-watch, so I may pick one up sometime this week!

9Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:26 am

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Rasei wrote:I haven't seen the second movie yet, but I really like the first. Don't you just love the relationship between Kaede and Kotetsu? Plus I like the character growth for Barnaby. (Is firmly a Kotetsu/Tomoe shipper)

I will ship all of the pairings. All of them. Even the ones that don't make sense. (Seriously though I'm not much of a shipper, but I am fully supportive of every pairing or crack pairing ever to exist and will totally non-ironically draw fan art for them anyway.)

Kotetsu is my favorite character archetype and it was blatantly apparent that he would be my favorite from episode 1 so I really don't know why I didn't finish this anime sooner. Got to episode 3 a few years ago and then stopped watching for some reason and didn't get back to it til now.

@Luxaria: Shinsekai Yori sounds like my kind of anime. I'll put that on my list. I like Baccano better than DRRR mostly because of the setting (I am very into Prohibition Era stuff) but DRRR is really great too. First season of DRRR is stronger than second season because second season felt more like a "Second season part 1" because it left off on a cliffhanger.

10Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Luxaria

Luxaria

Kiyoko wrote:I will ship all of the pairings. All of them. Even the ones that don't make sense. (Seriously though I'm not much of a shipper, but I am fully supportive of every pairing or crack pairing ever to exist and will totally non-ironically draw fan art for them anyway.)

Also, oh my gosh, I hope you do (and that you enjoy it!)! I watched it with AliceofOz and I'm dying to discuss it with more people.

11Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Rasei

Rasei

Question: If Haruhi ships something, does it become Canon?

I ship a lot of crack stuff, just asked Sam. There is a character in Kyou Kara Maou that I ship with his hair curl and a character/his desk. (Wrote a fanfic about the character and his desk) I'm also a firm Lockheart/Mirror shipper too.

12Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:20 am

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Rasei wrote:Lockheart/Mirror shipper too.

YO, I ship this too.

13Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:56 am

Ninfia

Ninfia
Admin

is this thread dead or........ can I yell about anime here too.

because my favourite two would probably D. Gray-man and Haikyuu!!, because one is for pain and one is for cute, but I also really love revolutionary girl utena???

I'm not especially good at picking favourites tbh.

I've been planning on watching T+B forever but I have pet to get around to it........ must kick self in the butt to do it......

http://www.ninfia.tumblr.com

14Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:03 am

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

There is no such thing as necroposting here, feel free to revive whatever threads you want. This is a 100% necromancer safe space.

I was just telling Lux about Utena actually. It's good.

D. Gray-man is on my list but I never got around to it and then I forgot it existed. Might pick it up. I've been watching a lot of anime lately.

15Favorite Animes Empty Re: Favorite Animes Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:10 am

Ninfia

Ninfia
Admin

/casually pulls on necromancing robes

The D.gray-man anime is alright but there's a lot of filler. its better filler than they typical anime standard I think (lookin at you bleach) but compared to the manga, there's a lot of different stuff. also it ends kinda awkwardly so I'd maybe recommend reading the manga if you're into that. I have been really seriously considering a rewatch of the anime though. I followed it weekly when it was airing and I kinda miss it.

UTENA!!! I want to cosplay utena. I think that would be so much.

http://www.ninfia.tumblr.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum