Cry Wolf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf is a brand new forum focused on the forum version of the deception game Mafia/Werewolves

Video Game UPick is over! Town Wins!
We now have a Discord Server!

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Polyglot thread

+2
Luxaria
Kiyoko
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Polyglot thread Empty The Polyglot thread Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:07 pm

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Bonjour! 今日は! Inspired by a conversation with Luxaria, this is a thread to collect all the languages everyone speaks, is studying, or is interested in studying, in case you'd like someone to practice with. Comment with your languages and level of proficiency. It's okay if you can only say like, five words. If you're interested in continuing to learn more words, put it down anyway. If there's someone on this list who speaks a language you speak, PM them or something and get to know one another. We're all friends here.

ASL

• Kiyoko (knows a few basic sentences)
  • Luxaria (knows the alphabet and a few signs)
  • Rasei (can hold minor conversations)

العربية

• Luxaria (interested in learning)

български език

• AliceofOz (fluent)

Français

• Kiyoko (basic)
  • Luxaria (can't speak very well, but can sort of read it)
  • nautilus (studied for a few years but out of practice)
  • Rasei (took in middle school, can only remember a bit)

Español

• Kiyoko (fluent reading/listening, conversational speaking/writing)
  • Rasei (studying on duolingo)
  • AliceofOz (basic)

Esperanto

• Rasei (interested in learning)

Deutsch

• Kiyoko (conversational)
  • AliceofOz (basic)

Gaeilge

• Rasei (studying on duolingo)

한국어

Lingua Latina

• Rasei (can read a bit)

Nederlands

• Kiyoko (interested in learning)

日本語

• Kiyoko (conversational speaking/listening, still working on kanji, has teaching experience)
  • Luxaria (beginner)
  • Rasei (can understand and read a bit)

Русский язык

• AliceofOz (can read)
  • Kiyoko (interested in learning, I know the Cyrillic alphabet and that's it)

Türkçe

• AliceofOz (basic)
  • Kiyoko (started studying)
  • Luxaria (started studying)

中文

• Kiyoko (普通話 - native speaking/listening, but can't read/write)
  • AliceofOz (普通話 - can speak in conversations but can't write)
  • nautilus (decent fluency and understanding, but can't read/write)
  • Luxaria (普通話 - interested in learning)

Last edited by Kiyoko on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:00 pm; edited 8 times in total

http://kiyokon.tumblr.com

2The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Also if anyone wants to start from scratch learning a language available on Duolingo, hit me up. I will always agree to learn a new language with someone.

3The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:06 pm

Luxaria

Luxaria

Salut~! Uh, my list is short.

Je peux parler en français un peu. Eh. Non, je suis désolée. Mon français est terrible. Je ne peux pas lire bien, mais parler... de temps en temps. Je dois plus étudier.

Ehm. I don't know enough Japanese yet to phrase it in the language. Uhh. わたしはルクスアリアです。Maybe good enough? EHHH. eh. Work in progress.

I'd like to study German and Mandarin eventually, and I have interest in Spanish, Korean, Russian, and Arabic. Maybe more. Actually, your post reminded me that my Dutch friends once tried to teach me a few words and the alphabet. That was fun.

Also if anyone wants to start from scratch learning a language available on Duolingo, hit me up. I will always agree to learn a new language with someone.

You know just how to get me all excited, don't you?

4The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Luxaria wrote:

You know just how to get me all excited, don't you?

Ooh! Quelle langue voulez-vous apprendre? Il y a une liste ici.

5The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Luxaria

Luxaria

I am so amused to see Klingon there. And Esperanto, but I caught wind of that a while ago from a language subreddit.

Hmm, well you'd want it to be a new language for yourself as well, right? I believe you have experience in the big three I was planning on learning, so then it'd probably be something different like Italian, Dutch, or Russian. On the other hand, I just made a new account (forgot my previous one) and started the French course. I could always catch up to you in that since the first few parts will be easy for me. Then again, you might be far into it already. Oh, and you said "from scratch". Hm!

What do you think? Any preferences?

6The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Rasei

Rasei

I took French in middle school, but only remember a couple of words.
I took Latin and ASL in high school, I can still read a bit of Latin.
I took ASL and Japanese in College. ASL two semsters and can hold minor conversation in it. Japanese- I can understand a bit and read a bit.
I'm studying Spanish and Irish with Duolingo.

I'm also want to learn Esperanto for a Booster Gold Fanfic I want to right.

7The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:14 am

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

RASEI, I WANT TO LEARN ASL. It's actually #1 on my list of things to learn next, but I'm not quite sure how to learn it since it seems like one of those things where an in-person instructor would work best. I know a few words and can do basic sentences like, "I'm going to the store" and, "I ate." Oddly enough the grammar is actually fairly similar to Chinese from what I've experienced so far.

8The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:54 am

nautilus

nautilus

Je parle français (un peu); j'ai étudié français pendant beaucoup d'années, mais je n'ai pas pratiqué la langue depuis l'école secondaire. Je pense mon professeur dois être déçu parce que mon français est terriblé... Je lui ai fait triste, probably. Maybe.

中文 with decent fluency and understanding but I can't read or write to save my life. I also have trouble understanding certain dialects with huge tone variation, because the dialect I speak has barely any tonal differences (at least, this is what I've been told from others).

9The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:03 am

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Il y a beaucoup de francophones ici! Je pense que drandahl parle aussi le français.

10The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:41 am

Luxaria

Luxaria

So much French. I swear, everyone I know has only studied Spanish and Japanese. Then I come in here and every single poster has experience with French. Where were you people a few years ago when I wanted study buddies?

I totally forgot, but I learned a little ASL as part of a special course in elementary school due to my hearing impairment. I've forgotten most of what I learned, but I can still do the alphabet and a handful of signs... if we don't care about grammar and you're interested in the hamburger tree counting to ten. Oh, I've also heard stories of parents teaching their infants sign language before they can properly vocalize, and the children catch on and have "conversations" before they're verbal. It's fascinating!

P.S. I just realized I meant to say I can't speak French very well, but I can sort of read it. I failed my own cheeky use of the language.

11The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:58 pm

Cat Mask

Cat Mask

Ich bin eine Katze. Auf der Internet weiß niemand, du bist eine Katze.

12The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Luxaria

Luxaria

I am pleased that I figured out what that said without knowing how to speak German.

13The Polyglot thread Empty Re: The Polyglot thread Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:51 am

AliceofOz

AliceofOz

Okaaay might as well post here too~

I know basic German and Spanish. Even more basic Turkish.
I can speak Mandarin in conversations but I can't write. =w=

Also, I can read Russian pretty easily since I know Bulgarian fluently. I'd like to learn Russian someday but I'm taking my time so I'm not russian. Haha...get it.

But yes about Russian : I've heard that the grammar is different from Bulgarian grammar (I'm actually unsure of this one since they don't look too different to me personally.) but most of the vocabulary seem very similar. \o/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum